Thursday, January 8, 2009

How Goat People Ward off Cabin Fever

We are having a ball on the various Yahoo Groups lists I'm on. On chevontalk@yahoogroups.com we have had a lively discussion about CAE with Tanya leading the way and even had the president of a vet lab reply. Tanya changed the subject to CL, same thing. A lively discussion is in progress. This was my reply to her. I was thinking: wow that would make a great blog post so here it is:

There will soon be an effective vaccine out
for CL and from that point on there won't be any excuse for CL bumps
and lumps. I had CL in my nubian herd in the early '80s and had an
autogeneous vaccine (then highly experimental and expensive) made at
Ohio State through my vet. Over 3 years it was completely gone with
attrition.

Once animals are properly vaccinated there won't be the panic about CL
at shows, fairs, new animals. There won't be any point to keep blood
testing for it after that. Oh, happy day!

All I can say is since you haven't had CL first hand so it must be hard
to visualize. The capsules are actually lymph nodes which have captured
the CL bacteria (and antigen/antibody complexes I assume) . They grow
over a couple months, the top skin gets thinner and thinner and loses
the hair because it loses the blood supply. Then the weakened skin
opens and the pus seeps out. It doesn't really explode, per se.

Re internal abscesses, I've heard that that is more of a problem in
sheep. I don't really know. But thank goodness CL in goats is almost
just a bad
memory.
*******************************************

On nubiantalk@yahoogroups.com there is in progress a fascinating discussion of the history of the breed. And low and behold an English lady, Christine Ball, who you may recognize from the Golden Guernsey world, comes on and shares her knowledge from that side of the pond. What a treat! Maybe I'll ask her to write a guest blog.

For example, did you know that before the English ladies used Swiss breeds in their breeding programs they worked with an old English breed? Those were the goats that were crossed with 3 exotic Indian and African breeds to produce the Anglo-English. I just always thought, they took a Saanen and a wild nubian and voila, Anglo-Nubian.

But that's not all, now we find out that there's a breed in New Zealand that Capt. Cook carried off. A university in Spain is doing DNA tests to verify the lineage of the goats. Yes, I definitely need to capture this on my blog.

Raspberry and Bill Burghart and others have been discussing old herds, long dead bucks, sharing history, photos and all sorts of other treasures. If you join Nubian talk, you might want to go back a month or so and check out the archives. Even if you don't have nubians like me, I think you will enjoy these conversations.

No comments: