Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Welcome to my Blog about our Dairy Goats!

We have a herd of Oberhasli, which is one of six dairy breeds registered by American Dairy Goat Association, ADGA. Why Oberhasli? Years ago we had nubians and bought an American Oberhasli buck to start in that rather small breed. Flash forward 20 years. I have a "modern" herd of Oberhasli that has been assembled and bred using the finest bloodlines in the country. Oberhasli are gentle, pretty and vigorous goats.

They trace their lines back to Switzerland. Dr. Pence made an importation of a buck and four pregnant does and that was the basis of Oberhasli in this country. Every Oberhasli goes back to those animals. For several decades Oberhasli were called "Swiss Alpines." They were part of the Alpine herdbook. Oberhasli enthusiasts worked diligently and got the Oberhasli out of the Alpine herdbook and into their own herdbook in the early 1980s.

Little by little, step by step the breed has advanced a tremendous amount. I attended the 2006 national show in Indianapolis and classes were huge. However, what was really neat to see if that udders, especially fore udders, were beautiful at least halfway down the lineup.

Last year two time national champion Willow Run Hassida classified 92EEEE. This year we know of at least two more does that classified 92. Those are: Sir Echo Brickers in Arizona and Heaven's Hollow Shotsi in Colorado. We, by we, I mean the Oberhasli community on OberhasliTalk@yahoo.com, are still waiting to hear about more high scoring does. Shotsi is going to be at the nationals next week in Louisville, Ky. I will try to get some pretty pictures.

If you are interested in dairy goats, stay tuned. I would like to start discussing various blood lines and my opinion on these. I would like to discuss my bucks and various animals in my own herd.

No comments: