Monday, February 2, 2009

Baby goats in the House


I don't know about everyone else but sometimes it's much too cold outside for baby goats and I grab them and head for the house. They spend a few minutes under the hair dryer and then the rest of the night by the wood stove. I use dog cages mostly to contain them. I also have a 100 gal rubber stock tank that I use as a "play pen." But it only takes a couple weeks until they are popping out and making a mess. Then I'm scrounging around for a screen or baby gate, something to lay on top.

When I read about this lady, Mary, and how she puts diapers on her kids I thought how much better this would be. Here it is cut and pasted from one of my goat lists:
********************************************************************************

Posted by: "combmaker@aol.com" combmaker@aol.com hemizonia

Sun Feb 1, 2009 3:06 am (PST)

(first part edited out)

I used regular human infant diapers, starting with newborn, and sizing
up as the kids grew. I'd cut a tiny hole for the tail, and pull it thru. I
would have the kids wear a cat or small dog halter ... would secure the diaper
by connecting the halter and diaper with a shoelace. With bucklings, you
have to keep the bottom of the diaper placed about to their chest. With
doe-lings, you didn't need to be as fussy. A shoelace on the bottom of the diaper
to the halter helped keep the pooplets in the diaper.

Mary, No. California
*******************************************************************************

Well my Swiffer mop is going to get a lot less use this year thanks to Mary's idea of the diapers and dog halter. hehe. And they might be out of the dog cages more.

I have one more tip. After you give them their bottle, stick them out the door and within a few minutes they probably will pee and maybe number two. Then you can bring them back in. Watch so that they don't wander off.

No comments: